Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cake Pops!

“A little piece of heaven on a stick,” is what my cousin calls these heavenly treats. I first made cake pops for my daughter’s first birthday party. I made over 100 of those and over 100 chocolate covered pretzels. Sounds like a lot of work, which it was, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Since then, I’ve made cake pops for my goddaughter’s second birthday and Halloween. I thought I’d share some pictures and my method for making cake pops with you.
Since I am by no means a professional or even seasoned baker (this is new to me), I encourage you to visit Bakerella.com. She is the queen of Cake pops and has many different decorating ideas and detailed instructions to completing them.  Until then….here is how it’s done in my kitchen….
Did someone say cake pops?!
I start my cake pops by baking a cake per the box instructions. (I will attempt to bake from scratch for the holidays. Keep a look out for those posts ;)). When the cake is done baking, leave it out to cool. Once it’s cool, crumble the cake with your hands or a fork. Mix in half a can of frosting (homemade frosting is also on my list of things to try). I wouldn’t put in more than half a can of the frosting because I find it prevents the cake balls from firming up. Then using your hands, shape the cake into balls or any shape your heart desires. Place them in the fridge for about an hour to firm up. I find that Wilton’s Candy Melts and Make n’ Mold Candy Melts are both equally suitable for the job. Follow the directions for melting your candy melts. Once your candy is melted, you’re ready to assemble your cake pops. I find that dipping the tip of your lollipop stick in the melted candy before inserting it into the cake ball helps it to stay put when dipping. Do that for all of the cake pops. You can place them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or so, but I find that the first few are hard by the time I finish assembling the last cake pops. Dip the cake pops in the melted candy in a straight down motion and lift it up being careful not to turn it too much. If you want to top your pops with sprinkles, do so immediately. Wait until the candy coated cake pops are hardened and then decorate. Finally bag them and display.









Enjoy your little piece of heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment