Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Tutu-torial



So this was the big project I was working on! A tutu and matching headband for my adorable daughter. Isn't she precious?! I'm so proud of my work, especially because I made it for my baby girl. This wasn't a difficult task, but it is a bit time consuming. I think I might start selling these things along with my cake pops. What do you think? If you're interested leave a comment or contact me on Facebook! Here' my tutu-torial (sorry, I just can't help myself :)).


Materials needed:
 2 6" 25 yards rolls of tulle (in color(s) of your choice)
 1 piece of non-rolling elastic cut to the length needed
Needle and thread or sewing machine

Steps:

1. Cut your tulle into strips depending on the length you want. Remember you have to double the number because you'll be coding each strip in half. For example, each strip I used was 2 feet long so that it would be 1 foot long after I tied it to the elastic.
2. Cut about 3 inches off your elastic because it will stretch as you tie the tulle around it.
3. Sew the ends together.
4. Place the elastic band around your leg. That will make it easier to tie the tulle around it and to tighten it.
5. Take a piece of tulle and fold it in half. Slip the folded part underneath the tulle and pull the end pieces through the loop. I find it helps to put your finger in between the tulle and elastic to adjust it as you tighten.





6. Repeat step 5 for all your tulle pieces.
7. You can cut any uneven ends off once the skirt is complete.

As for the headband.....that was a pain in the...........Neck :). I know there is an easier way to make a tulle pom pom and I should've done that, BUT in my defense I didn't think cutting my extra tulle into tiny strips and tying them to the crocheted headband would be too hard. I'm just glad it turned out nice. I made it the same way I made the skirt. I folded each piece in half and made a loop and pulled the ends through around the threads in the headband. I hope my steps are easy to follow and I hope the pictures help. I think I might make a video tutorial the next time I make a tutu. Please leave a comment with any questions, comments, etc. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment